Ethiopian Airlines (Ethiopian) is the flag carrier of Ethiopia. During the past sixty five plus years, Ethiopian has become one of the continent‟s leading carriers, unrivalled in Africa for efficiency and operational success, turning profits for almost all the years of its existence. Operating at the forefront of technology, the airline has also become one of Ethiopia‟s major industries and a veritable institution in Africa.
It commands a lion‟s share of the pan African network including the daily and double daily east-west flight across the continent. Ethiopian currently serves 73 international destinations operating the newest and youngest fleets. Ethiopian Airlines is a Star Alliance member which is a global airline network which was established by five airlines, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, THAI and United on May 14, 1997.
It has grown to 28 member airlines to become the first truly global airline alliance to offer worldwide reach, recognition and seamless service to the international traveller. Its acceptance by the market has been recognised by numerous awards, including the Air Transport World Market Leadership Award, Best Airline Alliance by both Business Traveller Magazine and Skytrax. Customer Benefits: Members of any Star Alliance frequent flyer programme (FFP) can collect and redeem miles, kilometres or points on any member carrier. Accrued mileage also counts towards higher status in the customer’s selected FFP and can also be redeemed for a one cabin upgrade on selected member carrier flights. Star Alliance Gold and Star Alliance Silver members are recognised as valuable customers whenever they travel on a Star Alliance member airline and are entitled to the following benefits: Priority Check-In
– Star Alliance Gold members can make use of dedicated check-in desks. Priority Waitlist
– Star Alliance Gold and Star Alliance Silver members receive priority wait listing if the desired flight is already fully booked. Priority Airport Standby
– Star Alliance Gold and Star Alliance Silver members receive priority standby listing if they arrive at the airport without any reservation for a specific flight (subject to local regulations). Moreover, a customer holding a full-fare ticket of one Star Alliance member airline may rebook on another. Lounge Access
– Star Alliance Gold members have access to more than 970 lounges at airports around the world. Coordinated schedules – By coordinating arrival and departure times, Star Alliance member airlines have optimised connections within the network and considerably reduced waiting times for passengers. Priority Baggage Tags
– Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to priority baggage service across the network. Customer Service
– Through check-in, joint ticketing, check-in and baggage facilities, collocation and connection teams at key airports
– all play a role in creating a smoother travel experience. Fare Products
– Thanks to its comprehensive network, Star Alliance member carriers are able to offer passengers great value via a wide variety of air passes and special fares including Round the World Fare, Circle Asia Fare, Circle North Asia, Circle Pacific Fare and the Africa, Asia, Brazil, China, Europe, Japan, Micronesia, Middle East, North America, South Pacific and Thailand Airpass.