Job no: 515676
Work type: Consultancy
Location: Congo, Dem. Rep
Categories: P-2, Programme Management
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Deputy Representative, prepares regular Donor Updates, donor reports, contribution monitoring, donor proposals, and management documents in relation to the UNICEF country and emergency programme. Is responsible for improving the quality of donor reports and proposals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Works with programme staff to ensure the quality of donor reports including background situation, overall UNICEF experience in relevant sector, objectives of specific donor contribution, target groups, results, constraints, appropriate financial statements, including relevant human interest stories, and photography to illustrate UNICEF supported activities supported by the specific donor. Ensure timely submission of high quality donor reports.
2. Works with programme staff to ensure the quality of proposals for donors including background on the situation in the country and in the relevant sectors, action to date by UNICEF in this area, proposed activities, objectives, target groups, expected results, indicators, timeline for implementation and budget. Ensure high timely submission of high quality donor proposals.
3. Supports overall donor relations including meeting with donors, preparation of background information materials for visits of donors and other special interest groups.
4. Update and maintain guidance and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of donor reporting, based on global guidance and country needs. Contributes to the quality of different management documents.
5. Organizes trainings to improve staff capacity on donor reporting and knowledge management.
6. Supervises Programme Assistant (Registry and Filing) and Knowledge Management Officer.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Two years practical professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media, or interactive digital media.
- Specific donor reporting experience, particularly for the United Nations an asset to the job.
- International and national work experience.
- Background/familiarity with emergency situations.
Fluency in French and English is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ I ]
- Drive for Results[ I ]
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Relating and Networking [ I ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ I ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
- Learning and Researching [ II ]
- Planning and Organizing [ II ]
Technical Knowledge [ I ]
Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ I ]
Specific and up-to-date working knowledge of:
- Executive Board and other policy documents.
- Executive Directives,
- Thorough knowledge of Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP)
- UN/UNICEF Policy Papers
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF
- General administrative and financial guidelines.
- Human resources manual
- UNICEF communication and other Division of Communication (DOC) guidelines
- Communication toolkit
- Brand Toolkit and Brand Book
- UNICEF Stylebook
- Ethical Guidelines on Reporting on Children
Common Technical Knowledge Required [ I ]
General knowledge of:
- Communication practice, methodology and practical application. Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research planning and strategy.
- Fundamentals of working in various media formats – print, audio, video, web etc.
- Computer systems, including internet navigation, office applications, and specifically, interactive digital media.
- United Nations or other international organizations; good understanding of world affairs, current events and international development issues
- Global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and current UNCEF position and approaches.
- UNICEF communication goals, visions, positions, policies, guidelines and strategies.
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address national and international issues, including emergencies.
- UNICEF emergency communication policies, goals, strategies and approaches, including emergency preparedness.
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced [ II ]
- Knowledge and expertise in management, communication strategy and networking.
- Technical competence in producing content for various media formats – print, audio, video, web etc.
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
- UN security operations and guidelines.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 24 Aug 2018 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Applications close: 31 Aug 2018 11:55 PM W. Central Africa Standard Time