Job no: 513678
Work type: Consultancy
Location: Congo, Dem. Rep
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), P-3
- Context and justification
UNICEF supports the Government of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) at national and sub-national levels in its efforts to promote and fulfill the rights of children. In so doing, UNICEF supports a range of interventions that cut across the areas of policy and legislative reform, strengthening institutional capacity to deliver child-centred services, positively influence behavior and social change, and preparation for and response to emergencies.
Communication for Development (C4D) is a key component of UNICEF’s work, as it’s essential for long term and sustainable behavior and social changes that impacts on the lives of children and adolescents, their families and communities.
On 30 April 2016, DRC replaced trivalent OPV with bivalent OPV throughout the country. To date, 3 cases of Polio Virus type 2 have been isolated at the INRB respectively, one case on 21 April 2017 in KUNDA health zone, Maniema, and two cases on 30 April and 01 May 2017 in BUTUMBA and MALEMBA NKULU Health zones in Haut Lomami province. Another case of Polio virus type 1 was isolated in the Ankoro ZS in province of Tanganyika. Two samples sent to the South African Regional Reference Laboratory (NICD) for genetic sequencing confirmed, the CVDP cases.
As a result, an adapted response in 2 phases was implemented according to the new operational standard procedures (SOPs) in 8 health zones of Upper Lomami, 8 in Maniema, 2 in Upper Katanga and 2 in Lualaba. Additional 2 rounds were implemented in 20 Health zones on December 2017. Following Kabalo case notification in January 2018, one mOPV2 campaigns was organized in 34 Health zone of Tanganyika, Haut Lomami, Lomami and Haut Katanga provinces but the outbreak remains as kikula Health zone notified a case in March 2018.As a result, additional rounds are planned in May and June 2018.
In order to ensure the quality of communication activities, particularly for parents, refractory populations and special populations, UNICEF needs international expertise in communication for development.
- Overall objectives
- Provide technical support to ensure the successful implementation of the communication and social mobilisation aspects for polio Mopv 2 vaccination campaigns in DRC;
- To ensure that all additional communication and social mobilisation activities in the provinces where cases were found (such as agreements with NGOs) are successfully implemented;
- To support coordination between UNICEF colleagues, Government, donor partners including OMS, CDC and USAID and NGO partners, in particular for the sub-national campaigns.
- To supports on-going activities in order to ensure communities accept campaigns immunisation in order to prevent polio outbreak.
- Specific objectives – with a focus on the province where polio cases have been identified:
- To contribute technical assistance to the planning, implementation for field implementation, with particular attention to hard to reach populations
- To monitor the implementation of both ongoing field activities in the province and during the campaigns
- Provide support to NGOs to implement communication and social mobilization activities in regions where cases have been found, and support C4D coordination in the field
- To support the implementation of community dialogue and other feedback mechanisms including a revised methodology and tools and provide capacity building and training to Government and NGO partners
- Ensure technical coordination of the national C4D pool comprising of the polio surge at central level and regional level (C4D national consultants) and C4D polio STOPers: Review weekly work plans and reports, ggive feedback on results achieved in relation to objectives, oorganize weekly conference calls with a focus on activities in preparation or ongoing.
- Advocate and facilitate the use of the SOPs on community participation developed by MoH with the assistance of UNICEF (manuel PartiCom / CAC)
- Respond to evolving needs as the emergency develops (e.g. undertaking missions if new cases are identified, revising or producing response plan documents)
- Contribute to vaccine management during SIA
- Analyse communication data, identify of lessons learned and translate into operational actions in view of reaching missed children and addressing reasons why they are missed
- Deliverables/ Results
- At least 1 NGO for social mobilization contract effectively implemented with results for hard to reach families (remoteness and difficult infrastructure, low security areas and families in difficult social situations)
- Field monitoring and technical support missions reports are compiled and available for internal coordination purposes ;
- C4D components are available for case investigation reports;
- Refusal cases are identified and solved
- SOPs on community participation developed by MoH with the assistance of UNICEF (manuel PartiCom / CAC) are used in the field;
- Communication quantitative et qualitative data are available analyzed, and translated into operational actions in view of reaching missed children and addressing reasons why they are missed.
- Vaccine management is effective
- Technical coordination of the national C4D pool comprising of the polio surge at central level and regional level (C4D national consultants) and C4D polio STOPers is effective
- A final report with data, findings, lessons learned, recommendations and action points is produced
- Management and SupervisionThe C4D Specialist will report directly to Kinshasa C4D specialist and work closely with Kinshasa and zonal C4D and immunization specialists.
- Qualifications, experience and competencies
- An Advanced University Degree in social and behavioural science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
- At least five years relevant C4D experience in the health sector
- Experience with EPI programmes and communication and social mobilization for polio campaigns
- Ability to work in a fast-changing emergency setting
- Ability to use own initiative
- Fluency in French and strong command of English
- How to applySubmission of technical and financial offer via unicef recrutement portal
- Duty Station
- Haut Katanga
Advertised: W. Central Africa Standard Time
Applications close: W. Central Africa Standard Time