Job no: 513456
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Location: Congo, Dem. Rep
Categories: Supply/Logistics, P-3
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, dignity…
UNICEF has been achieving important progress on education, child rights, nutrition, and WASH in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Challenges remain, though, and in spite of its vast physical size and limitless natural resources, the DRC poses a complex operational environment in terms of infrastructure challenges. Child poverty is widespread, and according to a recent UNICEF study, 80 percent of children aged zero to 15 years old face at least two major deprivations.
In WASH, we have been collaborating with partners to provide widespread WASH services, including to children and their families living in conflict affected areas. We are looking for motivated and energetic professionals to help achieve further WASH goals in the country. Join our team and help create a better world for every child.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance of the Chief Supply Section, the incumbent is responsible for the oversight systems, procedures, bids and evaluations related to contracts and agreements for all services contracts, including construction works; manage daily activities of the contracts, scope of work, budget and payment schedules, Local Procurement Authorization, and assembly of the final contract package for each project in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Effectively manage contracts, i.e. processing of specifications; attend bid openings and post bid evaluation meetings; review of bid documents including analyses of Bills of Quantities (BOQ), technical and financial proposals; compile and analyse submitted bid data; provide technical advice on management of contractual rights and obligations and maintains historical data and information.
- Compile and manage Invitation to Bids (ITBs), Request for Quotations (RFQs) and Request for Proposal (RFPs) to pre-qualified service providers and/or through open bidding processes, material specifications and offers to ensure completeness and appropriateness.
- Provide technical advice to Contract Review Committee (CRC) for award of contracts and defend such submissions.
- Prepare contract documents that ensure completeness, appropriateness and that protect best interest of the organization by ensuring proper contracting processes and fulfillment in accordance with organizational policies, legal requirements, and customer specifications. Monitors production and assembly of the final contract package for each service provider in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, Supply Manual and other applicable and sound procurement contract procedures.
- Prepare contracts and Long Term Agreements in VISION for approved service providers and manage contractual activities up to the stage of delivery stage as per contractual terms and conditions.
- Act as focal point for maintaining regular updates and reporting of statistical reports relating to contract services and Long Term Agreement (LTA) consumption.
- Interact and follow up with programme and operations sections on issues related to contractual management and timely delivery of goods and services including KPI achievement, and evaluate service providers with respect to delivery performance, products, programme/commercial acceptability. Identify opportunities, barriers, successes, problems and courses of actions to address identified challenges.
- Provide technical advice/guidance to programme and operations staff on contractual management.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Advanced university degree recognized academic institution, in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Management, International Economics, Engineering, International Development, Contract/Commercial Law or directly related areas including logistics operations or UNICEF programme areas is preferred. *A Bachelor degree with two additional years of relevant professional work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Experience: Minimum of five years progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring and in procurement and supply management systems. Knowledge in procurement and supply management and relevant related regulations as well as the latest developments and technology in the field. Knowledge of relevant information technology software. Knowledge of Supply Chain Management preferably in a developing country context. Mastery of technical knowledge (product knowledge, market research/analysis) required for Supply Management / Purchasing / Contracting (e.g., vaccine, equipment, medical supplies, contracts, customs function, taxation, insurance, etc.).
- Language: Oral and written proficiency in French is required with a strong knowledge of English. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: W. Central Africa Standard Time
Applications close: W. Central Africa Standard Time